Substance Use Services
Many of the patients receiving care on Ward 86 struggle with addiction and other substance use disorders.
- Counseling & Social Work
- Licensed social workers are available for one-on-one counseling and case management designed to meet individual needs. As appropriate, referrals to substance abuse and mental health services are also made. Please contact Karena Franses, MSW at (415) 206-2480 for further information.
- Stimulant Treatment Outpatient Program (STOP)
- STOP provides intensive outpatient treatment for adults with cocaine, methamphetamine or other stimulant abuse or dependence. A STOP staff member is available to meet clients at PHP on Ward 86. Please contact Valerie Gruber, PhD at (415) 206-3943 for more information.
- Stonewall Project
- The Stonewall Project is a harm reduction program serving all San Francisco residents, especially men who have sex with men, who are seeking help with substance use. Substance use counselors specialize in working with clients who use speed, cocaine, crack, heroin, and other drugs that can lead to risky sexual behavior. Clients are not required to be clean and sober. A Stonewall staff member is available to meet clients at PHP on Ward 86. Please contact Michael Siever, PhD at (415) 487-3101 for more information.
- Beehive Program
- The Beehive Program provides office-based opioid treatment (OBOT) and counseling at the Positive Health Program for patients with heroin or opioid analgesic use disorders. An alternative to methadone, buprenorphine (or “bupe”) is an effective sublingual medication that qualified PHP providers can prescribe to patients seeking treatment for heroin or pain pill addiction. For patients that prefer methadone treatment, stable patients may be eligible to transition from their methadone clinics to a new office-based methadone program on Ward 86. Patients are seen on Ward 86 for monitoring and counseling and receive methadone or buprenorphine dispensing at a community pharmacy. Please ask your primary care provider for a referral or contact Paula Lum, MD, MPH, at (415) 476-4082 ext. 411 for more information.
- Opiate Treatment Outpatient Program (OTOP)
- Clinicians from the HIV/AIDS Division partner with OBOT clinicians and staff in the Division of Substance Abuse and Addiction Medicine of the UCSF Department of Psychiatry to provide primary medical care for HIV-infected individuals receiving methadone maintenance at San Francisco General Hospital, Ward 93.